Know Your Rights on Election Day

( – Voting is such an important right and responsibility because it determines so much about how we govern our society. It’s critical to know your election-day rights. We have several quick tips and steps to take in case you encounter difficulties.

In general, you have a right to vote. So, if the machines stop working where you vote, ask election workers for a paper ballot. If you’re in line as the balloting place is closing, stay in line because you have the right to vote, and they must accommodate everyone in line. Also, you can ask for a new ballot if you make a mistake.

But what if the election workers can’t find your name on the voter registration list? All voters can request a provisional ballot, even if the name doesn’t appear in the registered voter list. In this case, election officials will investigate whether the voter was eligible and registered to vote and count the provisional vote if the voter qualified.

However, here are a few steps to take before asking for a provisional ballot. First, ask a poll worker to recheck your name against registered voters and spell the name for them. If they can’t find it, ask if they have a supplemental list to review. If that fails, ask the election worker to confirm whether you are in the correct voting place.

If the election worker has access to the statewide system, they could check using your name and home address. Barring access to a statewide system, you could request they call the main election office for your state to verify your balloting place.

If you registered at a different polling place, you will likely need to travel to that location to cast your ballot. However, if the election worker can’t find your name or if you can’t travel to the correct voting place, ask for a provisional ballot.

If you have any questions or problems on or before election day, including verifying your balloting place, call the following numbers for assistance.

  • 1-866-687-8683 (1-866-OUR-VOTE) for help in English
  • 1-888-839-8682 (1-888-VE-Y-VOTA) for assistance in Spanish
  • 1-844-925-5287 (1-844-YALLA-US) for help in Arabic
  • 1-888-274-8683 for assistance in other languages, including Cantonese, Bengali, Hindi, Korean, Urdu, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Tagalog

Know your rights and learn more from the American Civil Liberties Union.

~Here’s to Our Liberty!

Copyright 2023,